Mar 04, 2024  
2013-2014 Undergraduate Catalog 
2013-2014 Undergraduate Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Exemptions and Waivers

Financial Restrictions/Holds  

Emergency Loans

Texas Tomorrow Fund  
Hope Tax Credit  
Graduate Assistantships  
Veterans’ Exemptions  
Tuition/Fee Exemptions and Waivers  
Vocational Rehabilitation  



Financial Restrictions/Holds

A restriction/hold will be placed on a student’s academic record if the student has an outstanding account that is past due to the University. A financial hold will prevent the student from receiving or accessing academic records, transcripts or diplomas, and will not allow future registrations. When the student pays the account in full, financial holds will be removed.

Emergency Loans

If payment cannot be made by published due dates, students can apply for an emergency loan for tuition and fees through Buff Advisor. There is also a loan program for books up to $300. Other arrangements will have to be made for charges such as room/board, parking and some fees. These loans are short-term loans (due in 90 days, 45 day in summer sessions).

Texas Tomorrow Fund

A student who is a beneficiary of the Texas Tomorrow Fund should notify the Office of Accounting and Business by presenting his/her identification card. After the 12th class day, the University will bill the fund for tuition and required fees covered by the contract. The fund does not pay for room/board, books, course fees and any other expenses.

Hope Tax Credit

The Hope Tax Credit can be claimed for the qualified tuition and related fees (does not include books, supplies, room or board) of each eligible student in the taxpayer’s family who is enrolled at least half time in one of the first two years of post-secondary education in a program leading to a degree or certificate. The amount that may be claimed as a credit is generally equal to 100 percent of the first $1,000 of tuition and eligible fees and 50 percent on the second $1,000, for a total maximum benefit per student of $1,500. The credit is deducted directly from the amount of federal income tax owed.

Graduate Assistantships

Graduate teaching assistantships are available to students pursuing graduate degrees. Interested students should contact the head of the department in which they plan to pursue the graduate degree.

 Veterans’ Exemptions

Exemptions are offered for some veterans under the Hazelwood Act. To be eligible, a veteran must demonstrate that he or she:

  • At the time he or she entered the service,
    • Resided in Texas as indicated by his/her place of entry on a Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty (DD214); or
    • Was a resident of Texas, as determined in accordance with state law in Determining Residency Status for Tuition Purposes.
  • Is classified as a current resident by West Texas A&M University for the term or semester for which the veteran applies for Hazelwood Act Exemption.
  • Has an honorable discharge from service, general discharge from service under honorable conditions or an honorable separation from service.
  • Has served at least 181 days of active duty beyond basic training.
  • Is not in default on an education loan made or guaranteed by the federal government or by the state of Texas.
  • Has attempted fewer than 150 credit hours using the Hazelwood Act Exemption beginning with fall 1995.


To obtain Hazelwood benefits, a qualified veteran must:

  • File a copy of his or her DD214 (discharge document) with the registrar.
  • Sign a Hazelwood affidavit by 12th class day.
  • Obtain a letter from the Veteran’s Affairs Office in Muskogee, OK, stating status of federal benefits.
  • Provide documentation of Texas residency at the time the veteran entered the service.


Tuition/Fee Exemptions and Waivers

AFDC/TANF - Exemption from payment of tuition/fees for one year; must start using exemption within one year of high school graduation.

Blind/Deaf–Exemption from payment of tuition and all fees.

Border County–Waiver of non-resident tuition.

Border State–Reduction of non-resident tuition.

Children of Disabled Firemen/Peace Officers–Exemption from payment of tuition/fees other than room/meals and property deposit.

Competitive Scholarship–Waiver of non-resident tuition for student receiving competitive scholarship of at least $1,000.

Distance Education–Waiver of certain fees for student not reasonably able to participate in activity.

Early High School Graduate–Reimbursed from Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board for payment of tuition only.

Educational Aid Exemption–Reimbursed from Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board for payment of tuition and mandatory fees other than course fees; based on financial need.

Faculty/Dependent–Waiver of non-resident tuition.

Foster Care–Exemption from payment of tuition/fees.

Good Neighbor–Exemption from payment of tuition by students from other nations of the Western Hemisphere (other than Cuba).

Hazelwood Act–Exemption from payment of tuition/fees except student service fee, property deposit and room/meals.

Mexico Student Pilot Program–Waiver of nonresident tuition.

Military Personnel and Dependents–Waiver of nonresident tuition.

Senior Citizens (Golden Ager)–Exemption from payment of tuition only, up to six hours; must be 65 or older.

Teaching Assistant/Graduate Assistant–Waiver of non-resident tuition.

Valedictorian–Exemption from payment of tuition only during the first two regular semesters following graduation from an accredited Texas high school.

For more information, contact the Office of Admissions at 9(806)651-2020.

Vocational Rehabilitation

The Texas Rehabilitation Commission offers payment of tuition and other services to students who have qualifying physical or emotional handicaps. The vocational rehabilitation counselor must approve the student’s major field of study and an additional services needed in advance. Information about this program is available through the Texas Rehabilitation Commission, 5809 S. Western Street, Amarillo, Texas 79110 or call (806)353-7491.