Jun 22, 2021
Major in Communication
(Major Code: 5205)
M.A. Degree Requirements
(See requirements in the “Graduate Catalog”.)
If a student has a 3.0 GPA, the GRE can be waived.
In addition to University requirements for graduate admission, the applicant must submit the following:
- Cover sheet that includes name, telephone number(s), email address, mailing address and overall undergraduate GPA of the applicant.
- A one- to two-page, double-spaced, typed essay that includes discussion of:
- What qualities or experiences has the applicant had that make the applicant a good candidate for graduate study?
- Plans of the applicant for using the graduate communication degree.
- International students, before applying to the M.A. degree program in communication, must meet all requirements set forth by the International Student Office (see the International Students - Applicants webpage: http://wtamu.edu/student-support/international-applicants.aspx).
- Photocopies of the applicant’s transcripts from all colleges or universities attended. NOTE: The program requires 24 hours of undergraduate course work in communication or a closely related field. Students who do not have the 24 hours may be subject to a certain amount of leveling courses or be asked to provide evidence in support of a waiver of these requirements.
- At least three letters of recommendation from a faculty member, supervisor. The Recommendation Letter Form is available for download.
Submit applications to:
Director of Graduate Studies in Communication
Department of Communication
West Texas A&M University
WTAMU Box 60754
Canyon, Texas 79016-0001
For more information, contact the department at 806-651-2798.
M.A., Communication (36 hours)
Required Communication courses (12 hours):
Electives (12 hours)
Choose COMM electives or courses external to the Communication Program at the discretion of the graduate adviser.
Thesis or Non-Thesis Options (12 hours)
- Plan I Thesis Option:
- Plan II Non-Thesis Option:
With approval of the graduate director, the student may elect a minor field of study consisting of a maximum of six semester hours.
M.A., Communication - Media Management Track
Applications for students choosing the Media Management Track will be reviewed by the Office of Graduate Business Programs, Paul and Virginia Engler College of Business (806-651-2500).
In addition to University requirements for graduate admission, the applicant must meet minimum admission requirements and submit documents to the Office of Graduate Business Programs, Paul and Virginia Engler College of Business (806-651-2500):
- Bachelor’s degree from a regionally accredited institution
- Undergraduate grade point average (GPA of 3.00 or higher)
- While all applicants are welcome to take the GRE exam, those with an undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or higher may request to have this requirement waived by completing a GRE Score Waiver Request Form and emailing it to email@example.com. Alternately, applicants may submit an Electronic GRE Waiver Request Form.
- Official transcripts from all post-secondary institutions.
- Three letters of recommendation are required. At least one letter must be from a professional colleague. The Master of Arts in Media Management Recommendation Letter Form is available for downloading.
- Resume showing career progress and media production/management skills.
- Statement of goals for pursuing an M.A., Communication-Media Management degree.
- Proficiency in prerequisites prior to some business courses.
Required courses (12 hours):
Approved Electives (21 hours)
- 12 hours of approved courses from the College of Business
- 9 hours of approved COMM/MCOM courses from the Department of Communication
Non-thesis option (3 hours)