Feb 08, 2023
Major in Accounting
(Major Code: 5321)
General Requirements for the Bachelor of Business Administration/Master of Professional Accounting (B.B.A./M.P.A.) Degree Integrated Program
- At least 24 semester hours must be in courses numbered 6300 or above.
- This program will be a non-thesis program. Students desiring to do a thesis program will be required to complete the regular M.P.A. degree program.
- Application for entry into the program will be made during the semester in which the student completes 90 hours of course work. Graduate course work cannot be taken prior to acceptance into the program.
- Admission: Students are granted admission when the applicant has an undergraduate grade point average (GPA) of 3.00 or higher and scores in the 50th percentile or higher on the composite score of the GMAT exam.
- Conditional Admission: Students that do not qualify for regular admission are granted conditional admission when the applicant has an undergraduate GPA or 2.5 or higher and scores in the 30th percentile or higher on the composite score.
- Students not qualifying for regular or conditional admission will be denied admission and may consult with the dean of the Graduate School for assistance on future admission possibilities or possible committee review for conditional admission based on special circumstances consistent with House Bill 1641.
- Applicants must have completed the following accounting courses prior to admission: ACCT 2301, 2302, 3311, 3331, 3332, 3371, 3375.
Required Courses for the Integrated B.B.A./M.P.A. Degree Program (150 hours)
University Core Curriculum Requirements (42 hours)
Refer to the “University Core Curriculum” section of the 2018-2019 Undergraduate Catalog. Students must take MATH 1324, ECON 2301, and COMM 1321 or COMM 1315.
B.B.A. Degree Requirements
Business core. (See the B.B.A. core, in the “Bachelor of Business Administration (B.B.A.) Degree Core Requirements” section of the 2018-2019 Undergraduate Catalog.)
Undergraduate Accounting Requirements (21 hours)
- ACCT 3311, 3331, 3332, 3371, 3375, 4351, CIDM 4331
Undergraduate Electives (12 hours)
For the graduate portion of the program, students must complete 36 semester hours in advanced and graduate courses, including at least 18 semester hours in accounting. At least 18 semester hours must be in 6300-level courses (excluding ACCT 6300, ACCT 6305, MGT 6300, MKT 6300, FIN 6300, CIDM 6300, and ECON 6300).
Graduate Accounting Requirements (9 hours)
Fifteen hours of advanced graduate accounting electives (excluding ACCT 6300 and ACCT 6305)
Other Graduate Business Electives (9 hours)
Three semester hours from:
Six semester hours of graduate elective courses in economics (ECON), finance (FIN), or computer information and decision management (CIDM)
Pass Comprehensive Final Exam
During the last semester of course work for the B.B.A./M.P.A. degree, the student will be required to take a comprehensive written and/or oral exam covering the M.P.A. core courses. The examination will be administered by a three-member graduate accounting faculty committee. If the student fails the first examination, one semester or the equivalent (16 weeks or two summer sessions) must elapse before the student takes the exam again. Additional course work or directed study will be recommended for the student in the interim.